Still not all is lost! Much of the palate is present as are the bases of the quadrates and portions of the maxillae (upper jaws). Even more exciting is that a good portion of the braincase is also present. Although currently understudied it is possible (even likely) that the braincase is taxonomically informative in phytosaurs. I just wonder how much we have.
So....only one way to find out, plus we have put a bit of work into this already. So we decided to collect it. First we apply a separator (toilet paper works fine) to the surface of the fossil and the surrounding matrix. Of course the wind picked up right on time, always does when you are TPing a specimen it seems.
Next we create the plaster cap. Because it is a small specimen we use plaster bandages available from medical supply stores. They are much easier to use in situations like this rather than mixing up a tub of plaster and burlap. Just soak the roll and then apply to the specimen. First we cover the top to keep the matrix together and protect the bones. Then we dig down farther around the specimen and inwards creating a slight pedestal. Then we apply another roll of plaster around the newly created lip. This is called the "collar" and will keep everything from falling out when it is time to flip the plaster jacket and fossil.
Three rolls does it. The plaster needs to dry so we leave the specimen and will return later. Unfortunately a storm is moving in so we cut drainage chutes away from the specimen and cover it up with a plastic garbage bag. This will slow down the drying but is better than saturating the plaster cap with rain and mud.